Electricians plan, install, maintain and test electrical circuitry and appliances for heating, lighting, communications and power, as well as in air conditioning and refrigeration systems in homes, commercial buildings and factories.
An electrician lays out, installs and tests electrical fixtures, and installs electrical wire systems, systems used to provide heat, light, power, and air conditioning, and refrigeration in homes, office buildings, factories, hospitals, and schools. He or she also installs conduit and connects electrical machinery, equipment and controls.
The electrician uses a wide variety of hand tools to perform his tasks.
The journeyman electrician must master both mechanical and technical skills. This craftsman must understand the use of meters and specialized testing equipment, be adept at trouble shooting and understand the theory behind the transmission of electrical energy.
In, new construction, electricians move onto the job as soon as the structure begins to take form, installing grounding and temporary lights and power. The work is active and strenuous with much of the work done in awkward positions and frequently in cramped quarters. Electricians may be called upon to work in new and old buildings, new and old homes, also commercial and industrial construction.
- Age – Minimum age is 18.
- Education – High school graduate or GED and one year Algebra with a “C” Average in both semesters.
- Good physical condition – Must be able to perform the work of the trade.
- Birth certificate.
- Transcripts (high school).
- Personal interview.
- NJATC aptitude test.
Terms of apprenticeship training
- Length of program – 5 years (commercial and industrial).
- Related training – 1 night per week (4 hours), September thru June.
- Length of program – 3 years (residential and telecommunications).
Recommended high school courses
- Algebra (must have C average).
- Mechanical drawing.
How do I enroll?
First, you need to complete an application by applying online or applying at one of our training facilities. Applicants are required to meet the following entry-level requirements:
- 18 years old.
- High school diploma or High School Equivalency Diploma (formerly GED).
- Valid Indiana driver’s license.
- Reliable transportation.
- Pass a drug screen.
Once you have completed your application, you will be contacted at a later date for testing and an interview.
2122 Dr. Martin Luther King St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Gary, IN 46409