Area contractors, unions honored by Indiana Plan of NWI
Hammond Times, April 4, 2012
MERRILLVILLE, Ind. - Fourteen area contractors and unions were recently honored by the Indiana Plan of Northern Indiana at its inaugural Appreciation Awards reception in Merrillville.
The awards recognize efforts to support the Indiana Plan's mission to increase female and minority participation in the construction industry.
"Because of their contributions and involvement, the Indiana Plan has been able to provide a pathway to a good–paying career for hundreds of women and minority candidates over the past 15 years," said Joree Richards, area coordinator for the Indiana Plan, in a statement.
The awards were presented during a reception at the IBEW 697 union hall and apprenticeship training center in Merrillville. The 2012 honorees are:
- NECA Northern Indiana Chapter.
- IBEW Local 697.
- IBEW Local 531.
- Indiana Kentucky Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters.
- Ironworkers Local 395.
- United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers & Allied Workers Local 26.
- International Union of Painter and Allied Trades.
- Great Lakes Electrical Maintenance Inc.
- Precision Builders Inc.
- Emcor Hyre Electric Co. of Indiana Inc.
- Meade Industries Inc.
- Gariup Construction Co., Inc.
- Prewitt Construction Co., Inc.
In addition, Victor Sayers of Precision Builders Inc., was named the 2012 Indiana Plan Advocate of the Year.
The Indiana Plan's pre–apprenticeship program gives candidates a basic understanding of principles required in any building trades program. Upon completion of training, the Indiana Plan works with candidates to place them into construction jobs at a training rate.